For over 30 years, Alenco has been providing comprehensive bathroom remodeling services throughout St. Louis. During our time, we’ve seen our fair share of bathroom problems, one of the most common being mold growth. Mold is a pervasive problem and left untreated, it can be a serious threat to both your home’s structural integrity and potentially your health.
Our professional St. Louis bathroom remodelers want to make sure that every home we serve has a clean and healthy bathroom, so we’re sharing our three favorite tips to create a mold-free bathroom.
Try Using Vinegar to Remove Mold
When it comes to removing mold, many homeowners think of bleach first, but what you really want to grab is vinegar. Bleach is a powerful cleaning agent, but unlike vinegar, it doesn’t actually kill the mold. White vinegar is a mild acid that has the power to kill up to 82% of mold species. For best results, follow these instructions:
Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and do not dilute. Mold is unfortunately very resilient, which is why you don’t want to add any water to your spray bottle.
Spray affected areas thoroughly with vinegar and allow it to sit for one hour.
When your hour is up, wipe down affected areas with warm water and a clean towel. To prevent mold from coming right back, dry the area completely when you’re finished cleaning.
Clean Up Stains with Baking Soda and Bleach
After you’ve used vinegar to eliminate mold, you can remove stains by using baking soda and bleach. There are several ways to do this, but in the bathroom, a paste can be a very effective way to remove mold and mildew stains, particularly from grout. Clean up your stains with the following method:
- Mix ¾ cup of baking soda with ¼ cup of bleach and blend together to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste where necessary and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, use a scrub brush to clean the area. Allow the paste to sit on the affected areas for another 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse the paste and dry completely.
Prevent Future Mold Growth
You can help prevent future mold growth with a few simple tasks, some of which include:
- Spray your bathroom regularly with vinegar.
- Declutter the products in your shower; the less products you have, the fewer spaces there are for mold to hide.
- Add ventilation.
- Remove moisture from mold-prone surfaces.
- Clean curtains, rugs, and other bathroom accessories every week.
Mold can be a major hassle for homeowners, and if you’re looking for ways to avoid it, consider giving the experts at Alenco a call. Our St. Louis bathroom remodeling products are durable and they resist the growth of mold and mildew, making them incredibly low-maintenance. Want more information regarding our products and bathroom remodeling services? Give us a call today or complete our online form to request your free, no-obligation project estimate.